CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Starting Line

The official home school forms are submitted and the school year has officially begun. In the last week we have spent some time with the workbook, trying to become more aware of letter sounds at the beginning of words. We say the word, emphasize the sounds, and identify the letter that starts the word. Alex has been practicing writing her name a lot and doing great. Emma can't write her full name but writes the 'E' (usually upside down) and is so proud of herself. We have played Candyland and I was suprised at how upset Alex got when she didn't win... No big deal though, I'm happy to foster competition... I just want to teach them both to be good sports. The only way to do that is to lose now and then. We have played the Memory game also. Yesterday we also pulled out the play dough.
Last Saturday we spent the day working on the yard. The girls helped me pull weeds and plant new flowers. Drew found a little frog in the grass and we all took turns holding him and checking him out. One day we were headed to my grandpa's and saw a big turtle making his way across the parking lot. I stopped and opened the van doors so the girls could see and we sat and watched as he made it into the grass. Sometimes the best learning opportunities come unexpected. We have also had several play dates and played outside a lot. The weather has been so beautiful! I also value the time the girls have playing with Lorelai and Mollie on Wednesdays. It is a safe and intimate setting for them to play with friends, without me.
I am infinitely blessed to be home with my girls and so thankful for the opportunity to be mommy and teacher.

0 comments: