CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Educated Child

I'm reading a great book called The Educated Child. It isn't about homeschooling, it is just about educating your child. Of course right now I'm ready the preschool section, which applies to the stage of development my girls are in. The principles it addresses are wonderful. Some are...
-Parents are the first and most important teachers.
-The early years build the foundation for all later learning. Make it sturdy.
-Learning requires discipline; discipline requires values.
-Follow your common sense.
-Content matters: what children study they will learn.
It stresses the importance of taking the time to read to your children and gives great suggestions to make the most of that time. This is something that we already do and will continue to do.
One of the best ways to teach is by example. I shouldn't just read to my child, she should also see me reading. I should just tell her how to behave, I should lead by example. Children imitate.
There is great info on fostering the love of learning, which if you have been following our journey you will know is one of my highest priorities. A parents' love, protection and care are invaluable.
We all know that patience is key, but sometimes it is hard. Kids ask lots of questions and need lots of answers. Repetition is crucial in questions, reading, etc. Experience is key. Reading a book about animals is great, going to the zoo and seeing those animals is even better.
Play is the business of childhood. It encourages exploration, provides exercise, feeds the imagination, offers interaction, it's fun. A great deal of learning at this stage of development comes from play!!!
Trial and error are a big part of learning. Let your child make mistakes and help her learn from them.
****No two children are alike!*****
Don't be too pushy. It makes reference to another book that I love, The Hurried Child. Older book, but a great book.
The book also addresses specific subjects and age appropriate activities. Science. Grasping the principle isn't important, right now they are building a foundation of experience and the principles and concepts will come later. Also some basic, but important, ideas on building listening and speaking skills, incorporating math into life and getting ready to write. Preschool art. Sometimes I wonder if what we are doing is good for anything when it comes to art... but I realize that all that doodling, painting, play dough squishing, pasting, etc. is fostering creativity, feeding their imagination and working fine motor skills. It also lets them experiment, problem solve and make their own decisions. It often isn't the finished product that matters, but the process of making it! I've also found that the girls and I tend to start with an art project and wind up incorporating and learning so much more. Fun stuff!
So, I'm learning a lot. I'm learning what more I can do & better understanding development and preparation for later learning. I'm also thinking that I'm not doing too bad of a job here. What a wonderful journey we are taking together!

0 comments: