CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, April 13, 2009

Math

I can't seem to recap what we've done since my last blog, I've really got to get better at blogging every day. Drew was home this past week and we didn't do much in the way of school work anyway. But today...
I got all excited last night because Julie e mailed me and asked for some homeschooling info. Lorelai will be starting Kindergarten in a little over a year and she wants to start working with her more. So, I got to share some of my infinite teaching wisdom! (Did you detect my sarcasm?)
Anyway, in thinking over some things for her, I pulled up the Kindergarten readiness list again. I went through last night and marked off the things that we are doing well with and highlighted the things that we will continue working on.
So, today we pulled out some manipulatives and got busy. I would pick up one shape and ask Emma to pick one that was the same. Check. Both girls can do that. I would make a pattern and the girls took turns picking the shape or color that came next. Did pretty well with that. More/Less. Do I have more circles or triangles, etc.? That one needs more work. Then we worked on simple addition. If I have two triangles and three circles, how many shapes do I have all together? Did really well with that. As long as we have the visuals, and of course they count out the total, but still... this first step is going well. Then they did puzzles. Alex does them completely independently and Emma needs only minimal help. Good fine motor and problem solving practice. Then Aunt Jessica showed up and we played the Candy Land Castle game. Taking turns, matching shapes, etc. Then just fun stuff. Right now they are playing with big Legos. I just asked Alex was she was building and she said a castle. I love to hear an original answer as opposed to a generic or copy cat answer.
Therapy this afternoon and the rest of the week.

0 comments: