CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, May 1, 2008

A little much

We continued in the phonics workbook today, but it was a little much. The next section began with a short 'a' sound. I think we need to get better at letter identification before we move onto something like that. So, we changed books. We worked some on big, medium, and little. Big and little are no problem, medium is confusing. If she does big and little first then medium is obviously the only one left. I don't know if that helps her understand or not. I did a little bit of counting practice with Emma. She counts great, but I'm trying to help her get better at identifying each number with each object she is counting... so that she won't just keep counting even when she runs out of objects. She is getting pretty good. I did some more work with Alex on letters. She got really frustrated with one page, but we kept on and eventually finished. She had to identify a picture and pick which letter started the word. She can make the sound, but isn't quite relating that to the letter that it starts with. We did it together and I helped her pick which letter to circle. Once we decided on the letter (ex. 'T') she would go over the rest of the page like a word search puzzle and find every other 'T'. She is great at that. We also did some work on rhyming words.
Alex had speech, OT & PT today. Emma had a co-treatment of PT & OT.
We spent about 45 minutes reading tonight because they were really overly tired and needed some extra winding down time. Lots of times Emma wonders off during a book and tonight Alex wondered with her. I was curious if they were still paying attention even if they were sitting right there with me, so I kept reading. I was reading 'Horton Hears a Who' and I got to a part that Alex usually pipes in and finishes my sentence. She was standing at her play kitchen and not even looking at me, but when I got to that part she finished my sentence anyway. So, they must be listening even if they aren't completely focused in on the book.

0 comments: